To be a model organization which serves to promote high quality child care programs, resources and services which supports the development of children, families and individuals to reach their potential by walking along side their life journey. We recognize their gifts and right to be valued, respected and included.
We have a holistic approach to child care and family support and act with excellence in providing care and services to children, individuals, families and community members attending our programs. We value the development of character by practicing and inspiring respect, courage, love, humility, honesty, truth and wisdom. We embrace the whole person and provide an environment that meets the physical, intellectual, emotional, spiritual and cultural needs of those we serve. We believe children need four essential elements in order to flourish and thrive: belonging, mastery, independence and generosity.
The goal for Manidoo Gi Miini Gonaan is to work in partnership and collaboration with our children, parents, staff, board and community to ensure our families have a solid foundation to grow and succeed in all avenues of life. We recognize the significance of healthy attachments and later brain development therefore strive to ensure children’s interactions with caregivers are based on respect, trust and positive experiences.
- To provide a safe environment that promotes safe practices for children, staff and parents.
- To provide and model appropriate health and nutrition practices for our children, staff and parents.
- To create a developmentally appropriate environment for play and learning by managing spaces, materials and routines for our children and staff.
- To organize a variety of equipment, activities and opportunities to promote children’s physical development.
- To guide intellectual development by providing activities and experiences that help develop level and learning styles in children.
- To communicate to and with our children by providing them with opportunities to understand, acquire and use verbal and non-verbal means of communicating thoughts and feelings.
- To promote children’s creativity by providing experiences that can stimulate exploration and expression of creativity through different mediums.
- To help build the self-esteem and sense of worth and belonging for our children, staff and families.
- To help our children get along with others by modeling mutual respect among our children, staff and families.
- To model effective guidance techniques in an environment where children can learn and practice appropriate behaviors.
- To build friendly, cooperative relationships between the children, staff and each family in the centres.
- To continue to provide new, innovative child care practices within our centres.
- To advocate for a range of services for families in our community that reflect and support their diverse social, cultural, racial, and linguistic heritages.
- To maintain and enhance our centre’s ethical and professional standards of practice.
OUR GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- We value respect, courage, love, honesty, humility, truth and wisdom.
- We value people and believe everyone is on a journey called ‘life’ and we respect each individuals place on that journey.
- We value families and understand families have many forms.
- We value and believe that all creatures, people and cultures are created equal and should be respected and honored as such.
- We value and build on the assets of the community.
- We value the importance of being friendly and giving everyone a sense of acceptance and belonging.
- We value peoples’ intelligence and respect that knowledge and wisdom come in many forms be it formal education or life experience.
- We value a multi-layered approach to service delivery and problem solving and believe with support, things can be achieved through the combined effort of individuals, parents, caregivers, families, communities, governments and service providers.
- The community is viewed as the focus for decision-making and action.
- We value flexibility to respond to the diversity and changing need of the community
We value RESPECT; We show respect by speaking and acting with courtesy. We treat others with dignity and honor the rules of our family, school, centre and nation. Respect yourself, and others will respect you.
We value COURAGE; Courage is bravery in the face of fear. You do the right thing even when it is hard or scary. When you are courageous, you don’t give up. You try new things. You admit mistakes. Courage is the strength in your heart.
We value LOVE; Love is a special feeling that fills your heart. You show love in a smile, a kind word, a thoughtful act or a hug. Love is treating people and things with care and kindness because they mean so much to you. Love is contagious. It keeps spreading.
We value HONESTY; Honesty is being truthful, sincere, open and genuine. It is important because it builds trust. When people are honest, they can be relied on not to lie, cheat or steal. Being honest means you accept yourself as you are. When you are open and trustworthy, others can believe in you
We value HUMILITY; Being humble is considering others as important as you. You are thoughtful of their needs and willing to be of service. You don’t expect others or yourself to be perfect. You learn from your mistakes. When you do great things, humility reminds you to be thankful instead of boastful.
We value TRUTH; Truthfulness is being honest in your words and actions. You don’t tell lies even to defend yourself. Don’t listen to gossip or prejudice. See the truth for yourself. Don’t try to be more than you are to impress others. Be yourself, your true self.
We value WISDOM; Wisdom helps us to discern the right path at the right moment. It gives us clarity of thought and deeper understanding. We use our best judgment, resisting the pull of impulse and desire. Wisdom gives us the maturity and patience to make sustainable decisions. We seek knowledge, enter reflection and open ourselves to inspiration. We consider carefully, and then act confidently.